Adding webs is a web based operation; renaming and deleting webs are manual operations done directly on the server
is divided into webs; each one represents one subject, one area of collaboration. Administrators can add/rename/delete webs.
Choose Web Template
There are two methods used to create a new web. First you can use a specially designed TemplateWeb
. This is an invisible web that begins with an underscore "_" character. All topics in the _default template web will be copied into your new web.
The second method is to use an existing web as a template web. This may be useful if you already have a web that you like to use as a starting point. Only topics that have names beginning with Web...
(like "WebHome", "WebNotify", etc.) are copied.
In either case you will want to be sure to verify that your new web has all the custom modifications that you desire.
Adding a New Web
- Attachments will NOT get copied over along with their topics
- The manage script while creating the new web will update the following variables in the WebPreferences:
NOSEARCHALL. These variables are used to dynamically generate the SiteMap
- This script does not edit the TWiki.TWikiPreferences file to update the
WIKIWEBLIST. This must be done by hand
- As of TWiki Release 01 Sep 2004, a web name can be a WikiWord. Prior to that it could be only
UPPERlower. A side effect of this is that if you do use a wiki name,
%WEB% must be written as
<nop>%WEB% or else it will try to link to a non-existing topic of that name
Renaming or Deleting a Web
Renaming or deleting a web requires direct access to the installation files on the host server. There are currently no browser-based equivalents of the Rename/move/delete topic tools for working with webs.
- Prepare your site: Search each web for links to the target web, searching topic text for
Oldwebname., including the dot so you'll find references like
- Make changes as required, to
Newwebname.SomeTopic or better yet, to
- Edit the TWikiPreferences topic: Rename or delete the web from the
- Login to the UAIWiki server, via Telnet or FTP
- Go to
twiki/data and rename or remove the web directory
- Go to
twiki/templates and rename or remove the web directory if present
- Go to
twiki/pub and rename or remove the web directory if present
Renaming the MAINWEB
If you plan to rename the Main web, remember that TWiki stores user and group topics in
, default named
. That means, every WikiName
- points to it and would need updating (unless the variable,
, is used throughout).
- 14 Sep 2001
- 07 Apr 2002
- 16 Jan 2003